For those who were unable to make it to the Right Now! event by We Are Music, here is a brief breakdown:
- The exhibit hall featured some great local business, such as Greentown Labs, City Soil, Social Boston Sports, and more (there were free samples galore, Pop Chips, anyone?).
- The impressive speakers included:
- Dan Schrag, Professor of Geology at Harvard University. Dan also serves on President Obama's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology.
- Jack Healy, Head of the Human Rights Action Center. Jack was also a key organizational figure in the "Human Rights Concerts" series, when he served as Executive Director of Amnesty International USA between 1981-1993.
- Michael Mann, Director of the Earth System Science Center at Pennsylvania State University. Michael is a well-renowned climate activist and co-founder of Real Climate.
- Cameron Wake, Director of Carbon Solutions New England, Cameron helps lead the New Hampshire Energy and Climate Collaborative, established to track and facilitate the implementation of New Hampshire's 2009 Climate Action Plan. (And, he has the best first name ever!!!
- The event included an open oyster bar courtesy of Island Creek Oysters! A delicious treat, oysters are also one of the most sustainable seafood choices.
- There was also a special message from Bill McKibbon! Though it was kind of hard to hear, the video was inspiring and set a tone of urgency and action.
- Oh yeah, the live entertainment was excellent! DJ Ryan Brown, Bearstronaut, DJ Juan Maclean, and Escort got everyone dancing!
I had a great time. In fact, I was one of the last ones to leave! (proof below). I can't wait to see more events by We Are Music!