image courtesy of parkeretc.squarespace.com
Later this week I will be attending the Altitude Design Summit in NYC. I'm looking forward to meeting fellow bloggers, networking with potential sponsors, and learning how to improve the design and functionality of my blog. However, conferences can have a large carbon footprint, so I'm going to try my best to make sustainable decisions while at Alt. Here is my plan for being an eco-aware conference attendee:
1. Take it easy on the swag - conferences are full of free goodies, but just because something is free, doesn't mean you need to take it. Are you really going to use that pen or read that pamphlet? Think before taking something so that it doesn't ultimately end up in the trash.
2. Bring your own mug - coffee is a conference necessity, but avoid plastic, paper, and polystyrene by bringing your own coffee tumbler.
3. Bring an extra bag - so maybe the swag all looks good, bring a reusable back to carry your new goodies in so that you don't need a plastic bag.
4. Take public transit to/from the conference.
5. Pick the meat-free option at lunch.
6. Use business cards made out of 100% post-consumer recycled paper.
7. Lead by example. People will be inspired by your green lifestyle choices.